There’s a lot of Jim Thome opinions floating around the Web, and a couple other worthwhile links too. Let’s get it started.
- David Brown of Yahoo Sports says the Chicago White Sox decision to let Thome go might cost them the AL Central division title this year. According to Brown, Thome led the White Sox in on-base and slugging percentages last season, and they weren’t very good offensively with him. Thome was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers prior to the Aug. 31 trade deadline.
- Twins blogger Aaron Gleeman agrees with many people that Thome would be an upgrade over Delmon Young as an everyday player. This would mean playing Jason Kubel in left field during the bulk of his starts. I think we can all agree that Kubel shouldn’t lose playing time to Thome. But Young?
- The Minneapolis Star Tribune has in this morning’s editions that the Twins acknowledge their interest but decline to say how many at-bats Thome would get.
- David Golebiewski of FanGraphs doesn’t think Francisco Liriano can be as bad this season as he was last year.
- Chicago Cubs legend Ernie Banks is calling on former Cubbie Sammy Sosa to pull a Mark McGwire and come clean, though I’m sure Banks would prefer an all-out apology. I hope Sosa comes clean for you, Mr. Cub.
- Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams is 50-50 on whether to return for next season. He had said earlier in the year that he would retire if the Vikings won the Super Bowl.
- Sports Illustrated writer Joe Posnanski notes that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre just doesn’t run the ball. It’s not in his make-up.