Here’s a few links:
- Former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Kenechi Udeze, whose career was cut short when he was diagnosed with leukemia, keeps busy raising money for cancer research.
- The Minnesota Twins agree to a five-year deal with Denard Span. This is great news for Twins fans. His career .390 on-base percentage makes him a very valuable and young asset for the team. I’ve been waiting for Joe Mauer to sign so I can go out and buy a Mauer jersey with the new road design, but I might just pull the trigger on Span. Sorry, Mauer. You’ve kept me waiting too long.
- Twins manager Ron Gardenhire won’t rule out Francisco Liriano as a candidate for the closer’s job. I’d say it’s still highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
- Eno Sarris at FanGraphs analyzes the Twins closer options.
- Joe Posnanski offers his support once again for Gardenhire, while in a different post he says the Joe Nathan saga embodies the Twins.
UPDATE: I think Span was under team control for the next five seasons, though I don’t know for certain. In any event, this gives the Twins some cost certainty, just like the Nick Blackburn extension did earlier in the week.