Nats add Coste, while Weber is still in camp

A logjam at catcher will prevent Chris Coste from making the New York Mets’ Opening Day roster.

Coste – a Fargo native who played at Concordia College and for the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks – was among the cuts from Mets camp Monday.

ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin says that if Coste clears waivers, he’ll likely accept an assignment to Triple-A.

UPDATE: The Washington Nationals claimed Coste off waivers later Monday.

I am not a Nats expert by any means, but it looks like Coste could back up Ivan Rodriguez on Opening Day. Washington’s other catcher, Jesus Flores, will likely open the season the disabled list.

The Nats also have Wil Nieves in camp, but he’s struggled mightily at the plate. Nieves’ Yahoo page says he’ll back up Rodriguez, but that could be changing now that Coste is in the fold. Or maybe they both stick with the big club.

Meanwhile, another former RedHawks player is still hanging around in New York Yankees camp.

Jon Weber, an outfielder whose been a career minor leaguer, has hit the cover off the ball in spring training, batting .583 (14-for-24).

He’s catching a lot of of people’s attention, including those in the media. Bill Madden of the New York Daily News believes Weber should get a chance with the big club to open the season.

What an experience that would be, getting his name announced on Opening Day with the likes of Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and the rest of the world champs?

One guy who is encouraging Yankees manager Joe Girardi to include Weber on the 25-man roster if Don Zimmer, who watched Weber play a lot in the Tampa Bay Rays’ system last year.

It’s hard not to root for these 32-year-old journeymen to finally get a chance in the bigs. Good luck to Weber.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>